Friday, June 14

Swabeng Thoughts: Father's advice to his growing girl

Dear Marien,

Years from now, you will have a life of your own to explore and enjoy. Your time will come soon as my days would be close to the end. I know your mom would laugh at this but you know time will come you will have your own family to take care of. Even if my end of days are still miles so far, here are some of the things I want you to keep in mind.

1. Money Matters: You know dad learned the hard way in handling his finances. I should know because it took me more than a decade to realize the importance of saving small and saving early. Your old man (my dad) thought me how to save my money in the bank but I never realize it until you were born. Your mom and I sometimes argue on my spending habits and she's right most of the time. I don't wan't you to be like me when it comes to handling your money. Don't worry, daddy is learning the ropes on saving money and investing (I have some books to give you at the right time) and hopefully, you'll learn them too to be financially free from dept for the rest of your life.

2. Don't Stop Learning: Read books! Daddy has bought a few with a lot of interesting topics to choose from (and you'll inherit them soon). And I forgot, You'll get to inherit ALL of my Men's Magazine (FHM, UNO, Esquire, Rogue, Playboy, Maxim, etc) as well so please, NEVER throw them away even if your mom tells you too. These magazines are not all about women in sexy out fit but there are some bits and pieces of ideas only you and me could understand. 

3. Travel and Document: Your dad started traveling some places after your mom and I got married, something I didn't do when I was still single for whatever reason. Even if me and your mom have traveled together at times, I wanted you to go to places (within the country or overseas) and enjoy every moment of being free and experience what life has to offer (If you could take me and your mom, the better XD). Don't forget to take pictures of the places you'll be visiting a few years from now. and who knows, we may be traveling together and take more pictures, exchanging ideas and learn from each other. My gear would be your gear (provided that its still working XD).

4. Finish College: You're so fortunate that we won't be pressuring you on what course you should take when you start college. Unlike me (which your old man chose the degree for me and eventually embraced it), you'll have all the liberty to choose (as long as you'd benefit from it). Between Ateneo or La Salle? Either of the two would do as long as your mom and I can afford it or if you could get a scholarship. What we would expect from you is to do your best no matter what pressure comes along your way. If I could only have it my way, I want you to finish college in my alma mater (MIT-Intramuros). But since I'm a cool and understanding dad, we could negotiate XD. 

5. Stay Fit and Healthy: Funny as it sounds but we would prefer that you should stay in tip-top shape.  Make sure that you exercise and have a balanced diet (and we mean balanced). You don't need a gym membership as the entire world would be your playground to get fit and healthy.

6. Broaden your Horizon: I want you to be out of the ordinary. Never keep yourself doing the same things over and over. Keep yourself updated with the latest but never forget to look back at your roots. Keep an open mind and accept change with open arms. Try to learn as many hobbies as you can but make sure to choose the one you love the most (I hope it would be photography). 

7. Matters of the Heart: I know I'm not the best person that you should ask but in due time you will. Most guys I've encountered through the years ask me on how to win someones heart by hook or by crook. Most of them succeeded as I've done that too before marrying your mom. I know guys in your generation are probably ten times more cunning and conniving than I am so I'll make sure that you learn how to deal with them in the gentlest way possible. I don't want you to settle for anything less than a man. And if your future man breaks your heart, I'll make sure he's screwed (as well as his sister and mother) and I'm not joking. But if your man takes care of you perfectly well, he'll be in good hands in me. 

8. Raising your own family: Your mom and I did our best to raise you well. It was a little bit daunting at the beginning as your mom is not used to raise someone as mischievous and naughty as you are (you got that from my genes). Your grandmom can attest to that as well as Nanay. Nevertheless, I want to you be as patient as possible handling your little kids someday. Please never ever scold nor spank them. Instead, let them feel your love and devotion, something your mom and I did though as first time parents, we had some challenges keeping you well-behaved. 

Kinda lengthy advice huh??? Well that's only the beginning as today, you're still my one and only baby. 





With all Love,
Dad

PS. I have to put this a few days ahead because were going home to your "Lolo" on Father's Day. 

19 comments:

  1. Yeah it's lengthy but these are not enough to teach every piece of advice there is. You will have more to share with your child. And she's lucky to have a thoughtful dad like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips for parents with daughters. I think raising a daughter is different from raising a son but there are similar things as well.
    - Wanderer Juan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medyo na teary-eyed naman ako dito. I'm sure when your kid grows up and she reads this, she'll really appreciate it. Funny, while I was growing, my mom and dad would always sneak a letter in my room that contains advice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Even though I'm not a dad yet, I am the one who understands a child. I even promised myself to be more understanding to my future children and just take their time on decisions. They can choose which course they want as long as they'll finish it.

    I already feel like a dad already with my nieces! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always remember my dad's advise to be always healthy. i think that's the best one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Father's day Mark. Marilen is lucky for these advices and the men's magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice from a father. This post made me miss my papa so much and reminded me that I'm always a papa's girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. raising your own family financial and being fit and healthy is the way to go for me as i see it though everything is really included in this life. Its hard and it amazes me somehow how i've come this far too

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sob* Wish my dad was able to write me a letter like this before he passed away. Anyway, I'm sure Marien will appreciate you taking the time to write these things, especially when she's old enough to understand broader things. By the way, Advance Happy Father's DAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Written with so much love and wisdom :) What a great letter to give your kid someday when she's old enough to understand :) I do agree with the saving part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Touching message for Marien. We, fathers only wishes and wants the best for our kids/children. Happy Fathers Day bro!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful advice coming from the heart of a loving father.Wishing your family the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great advice!! as a teenager, I think the number one thing is for parents to not be so strict and let us enjoy life! but of course, with a little guide as well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As early as now, your daughter will somehow feel well-guided and protected having a father like you. Although she can hardly understand what goes in your mind and these advises she may not comprehend as of the moment... I'm sure she'll grow up to be the best person she can be with you around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe this post is written from the heart. Great life guide for Marien.

    More power to your family, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You may have not said it all, but your thoughts can be considered the most important ones. Education is a MUST for our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's amazing how well you expressed your feelings in this letter. I've always believe that the greatest among those a child can have from his parents are the wonderful wisdom. So lucky, Marien! :) HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post is probably one of the best dad-daughter advices out there! Love this! I would also like to add a spiritual advice to this post, to always look "up" to God, in whatever she does. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great post, Mark! Your little angel is lucky to have a dad who's willing to give advice and wisdom. I'm sure Marien will grow up to be a beautiful and smart lady. But for now, syempre enjoyin muna habang baby girl pa siya :) Belated Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Uhm.... Please do leave a comment for suggestions and improvements.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...