Thursday, April 1

Half-Finished Visita Iglesia

Current Mood: Way too exhausted (Leg cramps, Shortness of breath)

Every Holy Thursday during Lent, also known as semana santa or cuaresma, it has been the tradition of the Filipino Catholic faithful to do the visita iglesia, literally, church visit. This practice, introduced by the Spanish colonizers, goes back to the time of the early church where Christians would visit the seven great basilicas in Rome for the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament during Maundy Thursday. These churches are: The Saint John Lateran, St. Peter, Saint Mary Major, Saint Paul Outside the Walls, St. Lawrence Outside the Walls, Holy Cross in Jerusalem and St. Sebastian Outside the Walls. The last was replaced by Pope John Paul II with the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Divine Love in 2000.


For Filipinos, it’s not only the Blessed Sacrament but a contemplation of the fourteen stations of the cross. Traditionally, seven churches are visited with two stations per visit. While others, with more time and effort, visit fourteen. Starting with this post, the Visita Iglesia series will commence where I will be featuring colonial era churches, located in certain places or provinces where it is possible to visit at least seven of these religious structures rich in history, heritage and architecture.

Just got home from a half-finished visita iglesia a while ago but I wasn't able to complete it since my legs got cramps plus my heartbeat got scary. We started the visita iglesia late since we have other things to finish. Even if I'm not 100% well, I still joined my wife together with her sisters and her friend since it was my first time to do this thing. We visited UST Church first followed by Loretto Church, then St Anthony de Padua Shrine, then San Beda Chapel, then St Jude Church, then San Miguel Church and last on my end was St Vincent near Adamson. It was at that church I realized I had to stop and go home ahead of them. I don't know if I have to feel bad because I didn't finish it or not. Right now, my health is my primary concern and I have to be 100% healthy all the time.

As I finish this, my legs really feel numb and I don't know if its enough to rest alone.

By next year, I'll be ready and I'll plan the best route for this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uhm.... Please do leave a comment for suggestions and improvements.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...