Sunday, September 11

Happy Grand Parents Day


Taken from Google


I couldn't recall the last time I spent my Grandparents Day with my lolo and lola back then when I was young but I know I have a lot of happy moments with them. Most holidays I remember were spent back in the province where they live at our ancestral house and every holiday was really memorable. Well most of the time back then I was really curious about my ancestors from both sides as well as their culture way back then.

Grandparents Day began in 1970, when a West Virginia housewife, Marian Lucille Herndon McQuade, initiated a campaign to set aside a special day each year to honor grandparents. The first Grandparents Day was proclaimed in 1973 in West Virginia by Governor Arch Moore. In the same year, Senator Jennings Randolph (D-WV) introduced a Grandparents Day resolution in the United States Senate. In 1978, US President Jimmy Carter proclaimed the celebration of Grandparents Day in September, signifying the autumn years of life. Sunday, this event is observed by millions not only in the United States but also around the world.

Since we always value our extended family like our immediate family, it is very important to give honor to them as they provide us with the wisdom, knowledge and values throughout the years. Let us give them the appropriate recognition by kissing their hand, addressing them with respect and most importantly, attend to their needs. Let us thank our grandparents for being the solid foundation of what we are now and pass it on to future generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uhm.... Please do leave a comment for suggestions and improvements.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...